Thursday, January 07, 2010

I would like to share information about relationships, as well as understand that each and every one of us handle them differently. What works for one relationship (and I mean couples, as well as family interactions), may not work for another. But there is one common theme that promotes healthy relationships, and we have all heard this before! Communication.

There are barriers to good communication, whether it be the inability to ask for something you think you deserve, or the inability to listen to someone's needs (either out of selfishness or just plain habit). No relationship can thrive without communication. The way in which things are communicated are important also, as the language should be non threatening and easy to understand. When you "need" something from your partner, you should use an "I" format. Rather than say "You watch too much TV," one might say "I feel like we need some time together, can you spend an hour with me tonight?" Or "you drink too much," might be changed to "I like talking to you... before you crack open that beer, can we sit down together?" Also, the mood and timing are also important. I wouldn't think it would work right after a big blowout. Give it a little time.

Obviously not every attempt ends in success. But it's worth a try :)

No comments: